Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"ALL YOUR SERVER ARE BELONG TO US"



While I am glad that Darkfall is not vaporware and that it is finally being released, I wish that the DF team and Adventurine had got their shit more together for a smoother launch. Right now the masses trying to get in for launch are hammering what little server capacity they have.

Initially the Beta testers were supposed to be given a head start on pre-orders, but of course the link to the pre-order sign up was leaked. The available pre-order slots ended up selling out in hours. While a few bastages did manage to get in, the majority of us did not. I never got past entering my credit info after hearing of reports that some players were receiving multiple charges due to time-outs and other issues. Better safe than sorry I say.

Subsequently, Tasos announced that additional slots would be made available on the 25th in the evening, euro local time. Well it is currently February 25th, 6:36 PM Greece Time everything is still a clusterfuck.

Darkfall forums are too busy to process requests:


The account management website is getting hammered and not available at all:

The EU1 server is still offline. This was the Beta server and I imagine it will just be wiped and used as one of the servers for launch.

An EB member who successfully pre-ordered is even reporting that he is experiencing problems as well:

But my beta login is no longer valid, and I now get a "account not active" error
when I try to log in using the username/password I setup for pre-order.


In the end I'm not surprised at all. After seven years in development another couple of days shouldn't be a big deal. At least one good aspect to limiting pre-orders and launch orders is that hopefully the initial servers won't get swamped and crash 24/7. Even still I'm not expecting things to go smoothly. The Beta servers were actually very good, but the population was pretty small. There's no telling how the launch servers will fare with this new deluge of players. Pretty much ever launch I've been through has been a big mess. Shadowbane servers were down 50% of the time for the first week or so. Even WoW had high pop servers that were down for up to 24 hours during the initial launch. Not to mention extremely long queue times for many players. I think the only smooth launch was Warhammer online, but I didn't participate directly. From what I heard it went well.


Lets see what happens next with Darkfall.

No comments: