Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"I will give them something they have never seen before"

Welcome to Evil Bastages - Chronicles of an Veteran MMORPG Guild in Darkfall Online.

In the epic film Gladiator, as Maximus prepares to fight in the collosseum he declares to Proximo, "I will give them something they have never seen before." Today, on the eve of the European launch of Darkfall Online I am establishing this blog to give you something you have never seen before. An in depth look into the world of Darkfall Online through the eyes of a successful online PvP guild, the Evil Bastages.

1) Who am I?
In the MMO world the handle I go by is Grimhawke. I started using the name in the AOL days playing DragonRealms online, a text-based MUD. Yes - I am a closet nerd. Surprisingly enough, the game still exists. Eventually one of my best friends introduced me to Ultima Online around 1997. At the start the two of us were complete newbs just trying to train our characters skills and kill some lich lords or something. His first character was WaRGoD, a dexer while I started Grimhawke a tamer mage. Gradually we got our skills GM'd, I started running around with a pair of Dragons named Hoi and Chubes and we got into the PvP scene on the UO Atlantic Server. The first real guild we joined was an Anti-PK guild called Lords of Krynn (LOK). It was a heavy RP "goodie" guild and that really didn't match my play style. As it turns out, the original founders of the Evil Bastages, Oakbow, Grey and Kaz were all former members of LOK who wanted to take advantage of the freedom UO allowed by PKing everyone. Around the time the faction system was released in 1998 I turned to my true colors and defected as well. So that was how I became a member of the Evil Bastages. And now here we are. It's been a decade and we're still going strong. The history of EB in itself deserves its own post, so keep an eye out for that one.

2) Why am I blogging?
Previous attempts at a real website for the guild have never been long lived. It's not that we can't do it (some of us do it for a living, myself not included) but generally we're just to busy killing in whatever game we're playing to do it. We've at least maintained very active guild forums since the guild was formed. Still, I've always wanted something more official than just forums to represent the face of the guild. Unfortunately, in spite of the fact that I started out majoring in CompSci in college, I ended up in Economics and Mathematics so I'm a very amateur web designer. With the proliferation of blogging, and Darkfall's EU launch right around the corner - I figure now is as good a time as any to bring EB into the Web 2.0. Plus the Darkfall Beta servers have barely been available the past few days.

3) What can you expect from this blog?
Disclaimer: I am not a blogger. This is my first blog. Results may vary. I don't even have that much time to play Darkfall so we'll see how much content I am able to produce here. This will definitely be a work in progress.

I do hope to post a history of the guild for the benefit of the community and our own members at some point. I will try share anecdotes and stories from our experiences in Darkfall Online, as well as make an effort to disseminate and comment on new info, patches, etc. I strongly dislike narcissism and idiocy so I will try to carry out the above as objectively, accurately and in as good taste as possible.

From time to time other Evil Bastages may make guest appearances as well. The other members of the guild are all experienced MMO vets and can offer some different perspectives. We'll have to break that in slowly though as some of them are real bastards! (e.g. killing each other) If it works out, it could become a regular thing.



4) How can you participate?
Feel free to leave comments, email me suggestions. I'll make an effort to leave things as raw and un-moderated as possible but I know how the internet can be. We'll just have to see how things play out.

You can always stop by our boards to say hello or rant about get killed.

Lastly, If you're playing Darkfall, please carry around lots of loot. We will be coming around to collect it shortly. Let's all hope that Darkfall Online is a success.

4 comments:

Kammorremae said...

There is actually a tab that lists "Gankable Characters"? I might have to try this game.

Grimhawke[EB] said...

That's not a tab. The little box where it says Gankable Character is essentially your target window. It identifies whatever is under your targeting recticle. In this case on of our guild members just pk'd one of our own. After you kill someone they don't die/respawn immediately. Their body is on the ground and they can't do anything. A bar counts down the time til they respawn. During that time the player can be either rezzed or 'ganked'. Ganking is basically a finishing move (you can chop their head off) that will force them to respawn. Once they either respawn (due to either choosing so themself, timer or ganking) their body will dissapear and a tombstone will take their place. All of their equipped and inventory items are now lootable.

Kammorremae said...

Sounds like an entirely satifying a grief ridden PvP system. Me like.

Does large scale PvP exist (RvR or GvG), or is it simply unforgiving World PvP?

Grimhawke[EB] said...

Yes. Player run cities can be built (and destroyed). PvP is everywhere, there are very few safe zones.