Wednesday, March 4, 2009

They're Not Making it Easy, 27 New Accounts Created today and Darkfall Speed Hacks

I tried again to get an account for Darkfall. I must have hit F5 about 100 times over the course of 30 minutes around 7PM GMT when the account management site was open for new subscriptions. I got as far as clicking on the continue to your order button but never any further.

It is hard to tell what the long term implications from this horrible launch will be. Looking at the past, I think it is safe to say that Age of Conan shot itself in the foot because of all the problems it had at launch. The Darkfall devs are essentially staggering in their new players in order to stress test the server. This may allow them to optimize server populations in the future. The problem is they're pissing off a lot of people in the process. I hope that this doesn't end up alienating so many potential players that the game doesn't last.

I really hope that they succeed. But their certainly not making it easy. There are also reports of players using third party programs to speed hack. I was skeptical at first until I came across this YouTube video:


This needs to be addressed immediately. It is one thing to exploit crappy AI or bugs in game but an entirely different ballgame to use third party programs to defeat other players in PvP. There is no point in fighting honorably and fairly if your opponent will simply cheat to defeat you. In my opinion there is nothing more pathetic. An example, last night I was playing Counterstrike: Source (since I still can't play Darkfall...) and some guy joined the server and promptly got owned a few times. He apparently rhee'd in real life and told everyone to F**k off n*****s. Naturally I laughed out loud at his reaction. A few seconds later he was somehow crashing the server. It was funny and pathetic to me at the same time. I took it with a grain of salt since it was just a counterstrike game, but when similiar game breaking hacks are applied to an persistant MMO world then we have a problem Houston...

I hope that the Darkfall development teams is able to resolve these issues quickly. If left unchecked they could end up being the nails in the coffin for Darkfall Online. I have had enough of Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard producing carebear, no consequences, zero risk, mega grind MMO's. I came across an interesting blog post today from Scott Jennings, AKA Lum the Mad from the old UO days. I would venture to say that he is a bit of a carebear himself, but at least he is rooting for us bad guys:

http://www.brokentoys.org/2009/03/02/punching-babies-why-darkfall-can-should-and-must-succeed/

Leave a comment if you believe in Darkfall Online!

2 comments:

Damodred said...

Ok so after this long and countless tries I still can't even put my billing information into the fields and get it to stick. I am getting so pissed off typing my information in the fields and having it time out on me. I mean I feel like I'm one step behind everyone else and its impossible to fix it now. Can you not just update your billing info in the fields while the store is closed. Why would they not let you do that. It is unthinkable the levels up stupidity I am seeing.

Bear said...

Yeah I believe but I'm one of the few that got in. I hope they work everything out and succeed.

There's really nothing to compare to it. I don't care if I kill someone and get to loot there shit or are on the opposite side of getting chased down by a bunch of enemies riding dragons and lose everything.

When was the last time a game made your adrenaline flow like that.

Good luck DF.