Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fixing the 'Ping Bug' in Darkfall + New Sales

I am pretty sure I have been experiencing the same issue that others are describing here. My connection has been pretty stable around a 110ms ping since launch but since build 14 or so I have been getting huge ping spikes intermittently. They generally occur whenever there is a lot of activity going on around my character in game. IE if I am just harvesting it is fine but once I run into some PvP involving more than 5 people it goes to shit. My ping jumps up into the 1000-4000ms range.

My first response was to check my router and DSL modem. After multiple restarts the problem continued to persist. It seemed strange to me that I was only having connection issues while playing Darkfall though, and my connection was acting normal otherwise. Since I felt like the problem only started after one of Adventurines recent patches I thought maybe reinstalling and repatching might solve the problem. On my way to uninstall I came across the following in the shortcut folder:


The 'Darkfall(Repair data)' shortcut simply launches the patcher and repairs and corrupt files. Since I ran it two days ago I haven't experienced any issues. I participated in a siege last night and didn't have any latency issues so I feel confident that this is a valid solution and sharing it here.

In other news, I just received a nice delivery from Newegg. I am upgrading my two year old PC to optimize it for Darkfall. I'll be OC'ing my dual core E6600 processor (maybe messing with my cooling setup), swapping out a 7950 GT for a HD 4850, doubling my RAM to 4GB (i'm still using 32 bit xp or else I'd do 8GB) and swapping out my M-Audio sound card for a Auzentech X-Fi. All in, these four upgrades are costing me around $300 USD but I feel pretty confident they'll make a huge difference in Darkfall. Check back here in the next couple of days for a recap and my thoughts on optimizing your PC for Darkfall Online.

In other news, more client downloads are being made available tomorrow:

Tomorrow April 23d we will open up the shop at 3pm GMT for those that want to
get the Darkfall Client. If you want to get the Darkfall Client, visit https://www.darkfallonline.com/accounts/f/default.php and
create an account if you haven't done so already.
FYI, 3PM GMT is 11AM EST.

No comments: